What is a website migration?
A website migration will be required when launching a new version of your website and ensuring you maintain (or improve) your organic visibility despite changing key elements such as your site content, structure or design.
There are a number of reasons you may migrate an existing site such as:
- Rebranding & moving to a new domain
- Amending your site’s page structure (presumably to make it better)
- A change or upgrade to your CMS
- Merging two or more sites
- Site re-design
- HTTPS migration
- Launching international sites
- Upgrading to a new server
Whatever the reason, if a migration is not done correctly, you can cause significant damage to your organic performance in a small period of time, which when fixed, could take a significantly longer period of time to recover.
How can a migration go wrong?
There are a number of common mistakes that are made when launching a new website, including:
- Not implementing redirects from old content to new if there are URL changes
- Not allowing your new site/pages to be crawled
- Not allowing your new site/pages to be indexed
- Completely changing the SEO focus (or forgetting to optimise) key pages on the site
- Not implementing tracking correctly, which will affect the ability to asses how a migration has gone
There will inevitably always be a fluctuation in site performance when a new site is launched, as search engines take time to crawl and index the new structure/content – but when carried out correctly with appropriate planning, execution and analysis, the disruption can be kept to a minimum.
What is the correct approach?
Every site is different, but general approach would involve:
- Benchmark existing performance – indexed pages, traffic, search visibility and rankings
- Identify current crawl and content issues – ensure these aren’t in place on new site
- Optimise test site based on existing performance and potential opportunities
- Identify all live URLs and set up redirects to relevant pages on the new site
- Implement redirects at launch
- Carry out post migration analysis to ensure smooth migration, and fix any issues that arise
How can Organic Digital help?
I can assist with all aspects of your site migration which covers:
- Pre-migration audit
- Optimisation of new website
- Compile redirects to implemented at launch
- Assistance with actual migration
- Post migration analysis
With years of experience covering migrations of all sizes, including small brochure sites, ecommerce sites and sites with hundreds of thousands of pages, I can help migrate your site with minimal disruption.
If you want to find out more about website migrations, the following resources are a good starting point, alternatively, if you want any assistance fill in the contact form below:
- The Website Migration Guide: SEO Strategy, Process, & Checklist
- HTTPS Migration – What You Need To Know & How We Did It