What is a website migration?
A website migration will be required when launching a new version of your website and ensuring you maintain (or improve) your organic visibility despite changing key elements such as your site content, structure or design.
There are a number of reasons you may migrate an existing site such as:
- Rebranding & moving to a new domain
- Amending your site’s page structure (presumably to make it better)
- A change or upgrade to your CMS
- Merging two or more sites
- Site re-design
- HTTPS migration
- Launching international sites
- Upgrading to a new server
Whatever the reason, if a migration is not done correctly, you can cause significant damage to your organic performance in a small period of time, which when fixed, could take a significantly longer period of time to recover.
How can a migration go wrong?
There are a number of common mistakes that are made when launching a new website, including:
- Not implementing redirects from old content to new if there are URL changes
- Not allowing your new site/pages to be crawled
- Not allowing your new site/pages to be indexed
- Completely changing the SEO focus (or forgetting to optimise) key pages on the site
- Not implementing tracking correctly, which will affect the ability to asses how a migration has gone
There will inevitably always be a fluctuation in site performance when a new site is launched, as search engines take time to crawl and index the new structure/content – but when carried out correctly with appropriate planning, execution and analysis, the disruption can be kept to a minimum.
What is the correct approach?
Every site is different, but general approach would involve:
- Benchmark existing performance – indexed pages, traffic, search visibility and rankings
- Identify current crawl and content issues – ensure these aren’t in place on new site
- Optimise test site based on existing performance and potential opportunities
- Identify all live URLs and set up redirects to relevant pages on the new site
- Implement redirects at launch
- Carry out post migration analysis to ensure smooth migration, and fix any issues that arise
How can we help?
Organic Digital can assist with all aspects of your site migration which covers:
- Pre-migration audit
- Optimisation of new website
- Compile redirects to implemented at launch
- Assistance with actual migration
- Post migration analysis
With years of experience covering migrations of all sizes, including small brochure sites, ecommerce sites and sites with hundreds of thousands of pages, Organic Digital can help migrate your site with minimal disruption.
If you want to find out more about website migrations, the following resources are a good starting point, alternatively, if you want any assistance fill in the contact form below: