What is Local SEO?
If your business has one or more bricks and mortar locations that you want your customers to find, then Local SEO is a must.
Local SEO is the practice of optimising your website and business listing in terms of geographical location and building relevant signals towards each specific location.
Local SEO ranking factors differ to traditional SEO, in that your site is ranked for:
- The proximity of your business in relation to the user carrying out the search
- The relevance of the products and services you offer to the search query
- Trust factors based on what other users say about your business, i.e. reviews
- Local Citations and business listings - where your business is mentioned, but not necessarily linked to, on the web
It is becoming increasingly important for businesses to carry out Local SEO for the following reasons:
1) Increase in local and near me searches
As of May 2018, "near me" mobile searches that contain a variant of "can I buy" or "to buy" have grown over 500% over the last two years - according to this post from Google (and they'd know):
2) Local Map Listing Search Results
The number of search results that include map listings are increasing, whether the query includes "near me" or not:
How To Optimise For Local Search
If you want to compete in the local search results, you should carry out the following steps:
- Claim your business listings on Google and Bing - seems an obvious first step, but over 50% of businesses haven't yet done so, so see this as an opportunity to get ahead of the competition
- Optimise your website to include your address, geographical location and link to your business listing using structured data
- Get reviews via your business listings
- Obtain business citations
- Enhance your listings with rich content and regular updates
If you want to find out more about Local SEO, the following resources are a good starting point, alternatively, if you want any assistance fill in the contact form below: